10 January 2010

Oy!

So my goal for this blog is pretty simple. I want to make sure I'm documenting my time here and able to keep my buddies informed of what's going on (blogs serve the same purpose as mass emails but are at least knowingly and admittedly impersonal). However, I need to also make sure that I don't fall victim to updating this blog instead of actually experiencing Ireland. If I start to write a blog analyzing the different kinds of potatoes but haven't written about going to a pub in the past week, feel free to viciously judge me and shame me back into international alcoholism.

So I arrived in Shannon at around 7am this morning, and took a bus over to my new apartment in Galway. The ride was beautiful and treacherous. Ireland has been experiencing abnormally colder temperatures and typically wet weather, resulting in the entire country being covered in a practically cinematic hoar frost (or, as I like to call it, slut snow). As for the flight in, it was boring and uneventful (really Aer Lingus, the best you could offer me was The Ugly Truth and Fame?) but unfortunately not soporific and thus I didn't fall asleep until about noon (which would mean that I finally went to bed at around 7am Boston time). But I will make jet lag my bitch.

First day was a success-- got unpacked, settled, and napped. Also had a great dinner with my roomie-for-2-weeks Julia, which leads me to believe that I'll be eating more oysters in Ireland than I've ever done in the US... but this is good as I've always imagined that living in Europe would be saltier, slipperier, more muscley and zinc-filled than America. I of course also made my first beer here a Guinness, served to me by an Australian.

I want to also take this opportunity to remind everyone who might want to visit Ireland that YOU SHOULD. Especially while I'm here and you have a place to stay. Don't miss this opportunity, fools!

With that, I bid Americans a good afternoon and myself a good night. I need my rest for tomorrow I bring Princess Cupcakes to a new continent.

1 comment:

  1. I just started reading your blahg today. I promise to post lots. (Warden BB)

    ReplyDelete